HISTORY OF CIVIL AVIATION IN AZERBAIJAN

The great event occurred in Baku on October 20, 1910, for the first time the residents of the city were able to watch the first flight of a plane in the sky. "The flight on the Forman system airplane was carried out by famous aviator of Russia Sergey Utochkin.

The first Yunker type plane of the JSC Zakavia was brought for the civil Aviation of Azerbaijan in 1923 and it carried out its first flight on April 2 of the same year. The founders of the aforementioned stock company were the Mugham Meliorasiya Tikinti, Caspian Shipping Company and Azneft. The plane carried out the air photography, the transportation of urgent cargoes and materials and post transportations.

During one of the flights over the Caspian Sea in the 1920s pilot Teymur Mustafayev saw the oily spots on the water surface and informed the leadership of Azneft about the event, The geologists who arrived at the place discovered the oil fields there. Thus, the oil fields of the Caspian Azeri sector started to be developed and offshore oil production is currently developed with activity participation of the leading companies of the world.

The flight by the route Baku-Tbilisi-Baku was for the first time carried out by the Yunkers Planbe in August of 1923. The 3 year development program (1924-1926) of the Civil Aviation worked out by the Council of Civil Aviation was of great importance for the establishment and development of the aviation of Azerbaijan.

The said plan stipulated for the planned development of the civil aviation, the establishment of the first air routes in the Caucasus Baku-Tbilisi-Baku, Baku-Pyatigorsk-Baku, Baku-Hadjygabul-Yevlakh-Baku.

The aviation of Azerbaijan and Georgia united in 1925. That created conditions for the economic cooperation between the two countries.

An airport was constructed in Keshle in 1925 and the air station engaged in mail, cargo and passenger transportation was established as well. The exchange of information on the launching and start of the planes in the countries was carried out by the telegraph.

The routes Minvod-Grozny- Makhachkala-Baku-Yevlakh-Tbilisi was established in 1926. The development of the country's economics and industry before the war preconditioned the development of the civil aviation (Baku (the construction of airports was initiated in Bina 1930-1933), Yevlakh (1932), Hadjigabul (Sheki) (1933). At that period the airports were equipped with the new navigation technology.

A flight over Moscow through passing the Caucasus mountains was for the first time carried out on June 25, 1933 and thus the way to Moscow reduced by 1100 kilometers.

The route Baku-Moscow was established in 1937. It carried 15 passengers a day and that was a great achievement of that time.

The direct channel to Moscow was established during the flights to the city and the information about the flights was sent to Russia.

By the decree of the People's Commissariat Council of 1938 the airport of Baku was separated as an independent economic unit. That enabled to increase the reliability and profitability of the flights.

At the same time the air networks Baku-Moscow, Baku-Kharkov, Baku-Rostov and Baku-Grozny expanded and the national aviation turned into an integral part of the national economics of Azerbaijan.

The control over the plane landing had been visual in the Baku airport before 1950 whole the transmission radiostations started to be used for the landing control.

After the war the air transport of the country started to restore. The LI-2 planes carried passengers, mails as well as the urgent cargoes of the national economy. The first routes established in the sky of peace were those to Moscow, Ashgabat, Kharkov and to Yevlakh, Ganja (Kirovobad) and Hadjygabul. The flight to Moscow was carried out by the route Baku-Makhachkala-Astrakhan-Stalingrad-Voronej-Moscow.

A new large IL-14 plane entered the Azeri aviation in 1955 and the avia specialists studies the new aviation technique within a short period of time.

The new period in the civil aviation of the republic started in 1959 that is with the delivery of the turbo aircraft IL-18 to the country in 1959. Due to the operation of the comfortable and large IL-18 it was necessary to restore the profession of an engineer and controller.

A new period started in the development of the surface devices of plane management and landing in 1964. The new PRL-7 radio-locator and DRL-7 aerodrome radio-locator were commissioned at that time. In 1968 the PRL-7 radio-locators were replaced with new and more exact RP-2F (produced in Czechia "TECNA") radio-locator. It enabled the controllers to carry out more precise monitoring of landing.

The Baku aviators successfully operated the AN-24 planes that replaced the IL-14 in 1967.

The runways for the receipt of reactive planes YAK-40 were established in 11 regions of the country including Nakhichevan, Beylagan, Zagatala in the 1970s. The Baku and Ganja airports were equipped with modern radio and electric technique. That created conditions for the increase of the safety and reliability of flights.

The new reactive liners TU-134, YAK-40 were commissioned at that time.

A new airport complex was planned to be constructed in 1984-1988. Yet the construction was suspended by a number of definite reasons and was completed owning to the foreign investments on October 2, 1999 and the opening ceremony was held at that time.

The head office of the enterprise Azeraeronavigasiya is located on the 8th floor of the building.

The great events occurred in the development of the civil aviation of Azerbaijanin the 1990s. The investments attracted into the civil aviation of the country within the years of independence neared USD 200 million. After Azerbaijan gained independence in 1991 the civil aviation turned into an international structure. Azerbaijan joined a Chicago convention on the International Civil Aviation in 1992 and becomes the member of the ICOA. The operation of the planes BOING-727, BOING-707 started to be operated at that time.
top