AZERBAIJANI MOTORWAYS

The roads are among the main factors of the
economics and economic development. The
development of the economics is not possible
without a modern infrastructure and roads.

President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Ilham Aliyev

As is defined by the long-term world practice the comfortable roads predetermine the factors of the real and cultural development of the states and the level of their progress.

Azerbaijan did not have good roads they were either natural ground roads or gravelly roads in the early 20th century.

The total length of such roads equaled 1304 kilometers in 1914. At that time the only state road Gazakh-Uzuntala extending to 23 was established at that time. It was part of the strategic road Agstafa-Dilidjan-Irevan-Turkey. The remaining roads were of local significance.

Considering the development dynamics of the roads it is possible to say that in 1913 the overall length of the road system of Azerbaijan amounted to 1204 kilometers while in 1928 it was 6437 kilometers, in 1940-11021 kilometers. The acceleration of the road construction was caused by the arrangement of the road stations in 1937.

The road structure and road economics had been developed in accordance with the development of Azerbaijan up to 1918. At that period the development of road infrastructure was carried out in the inner areas of the regions.

The Ministry of Road, Post and Telegraph was created within the National Council due to the establishment of the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan on May 28, 1918. After the downfall of the republic the Department of Road and Lands was created under the Department of the People's Commissariat Council in 1920. The said department was transformed into the Department of Road-Water economics in 1920, in 1924 to Department of Highways and Ground Roads, the Head Department for Highway ground roads and motor transport in 1928 (Azbashyolnegliyyat) and was again transformed into the department for the highways in 1937.

The Head Road Department was established in 1938 and the local roads were transferred under its jurisdiction.

The years of 1940-1950 embraced the hard period of the Great Patriotic War and its results. Despite the hard years of the war the roadmen used the improved road coverage in the major highways under support of military constructors. At that period 919 kilometers of roads were covered with asphalt and the metal and iron bridges of 700 meters were constructed.

The years of 1950-1960s were the turning point in the history of the roads for the utilization of tar and asphalt concrete. In 1950 the length of the improved paved roads was 1197 kilometers while in 1960 the indicator equaled 3800 kilometers. At that period the new type bridges were constructed on the Kur river in Yevlakh, Zayam river in Shamkir, Gudyal river in Guba and Terter river in Terter.

The length of the commonly used roads amounted to 16800 kilometers in Azerbaijan in 1960-1970. 13400 kilometers of them were paved roads.

By order No 4700 of the People's Commissariat Council of October 30, 1940 all the union roads of the Head Road Department were transferred under the jurisdiction of the Department of Highways established under the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs.

By the order of the USSR Ministers' Council of March 18, 1953 the Highway Department was transferred from the USSR Internal Ministry to the USSR Ministry of Transport. By decision of USSR Ministers' Council, since August 26, 1953, it was changed from USSR Ministry of Transport to USSR Auto transport and Highways.

The Highway Department was eliminated by order No 432 of the USSR Ministers' Council of August 27, 1956 and the Head Road Department was established within the Ministers' Council instead.

The Head Road Department was abolished by order 1 of the Ministers' Council of the Azerbaijan SSR of January 7, 1974 and the Ministry of Motor Road construction and operation was established instead.

The Ministry of the Motor Road by the order of Supreme Council of the Azerbaijan SSR of January 2, 1989 and the Production Unit for Repair and Construction was established instead.

The Unit was abolished by the order of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan of January 20, 1993 and the State Company Azeravtoyol was established instead.

The State Company Azeravtoyol was abolished by order of the President of June 10, 2003 and the organizations, institutions and establishments it controlled were transferred to the Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Azerbaijan.

The Department Yelnegliyyat was created on the basis of the abolished company Azeravtoyol by the order of the Transport Minister of June 23, 2003.

The organization ensured the construction, reconstruction and repair of railways, stations, depot, and different kinds of motor road establishments, terminals and social institutions.

The motor road system was formed in the country and it interrelated with all the cities, regional centers, provinces, airports and seaports, railway stations, reserves, resort places as well as the frontier check points.

The country currently accounts for 25013 kilometers of roads including 6914 kilometers of republican roads and 18099 kilometers of local roads. There are 2071 bridges and the road passes 43279 meters in length. As the result of Armenia's armed intervention into Azerbaijan in 1988 20% of Azeri lands were occupied and over a million of people were turned to refugees. Like all other economic spheres the motor roads also suffered from the intervention. Thus over 4498 kilometers of roads were occupied by Armenians. Of them 1065 kilometers are of republican importance and 3433 of local importance. All these roads are currently under occupation of Armenian armed units.
top